VIRGINIA BEACH, July 26, 2018– Catch an ocean breeze, a few billfish, and a cure for breast cancer at the 16th annual ladies-only Wine, Women & Fishing Charity Billfish Tournament (WWF) on August 17-19, 2018. Funds raised will benefit breast cancer research at Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), and former local news reporter and cancer survivor Jane Gardner will be this year’s guest of honor.
Registration is currently open, and the fun begins on Friday, August 17 at “The View” on Rudee Inlet. Team registration and captain’s meeting will be held on Saturday, August 18 and the official tournament will kick off on Sunday, August 19. All events will take place at 416 Southside Road, Virginia Beach, Va.
Not an angler yourself? Come out and cheer on the teams as their decorated boats pull into the weigh station while enjoying refreshments and North Carolina Shrimp on Sunday, August 19. The day on the water will conclude with the awards banquet and party including wine and bourbon tastings, specialty summer cocktails, and handcrafted goods crafted by local artisans. Guava Jam will be providing live music throughout the celebration.
Additional details about the weekend include:
August 17 – “East Meets Western” Country Kick-Off Wine, Dinner & Dancing Party:
- The boot-scootin’ party begins at 6 p.m. to kick off the weekend. Savor wines from legendary female vintners, dine on locally grown and caught eats by Bill Dixon and Captain Hushpuppy, dance the night away to tunes by Garyoke Times DJ, and compete in the “Best Boots Contest.”
- Tickets are $99.
August 18 – Registration & Captain’s Meeting:
- Registration is $700 per team for up to six lady anglers on a boat (boat not included) and is open to women of all levels of fishing expertise.
- Entry fee covers six tickets to the all-inclusive Awards Banquet and Dock Party, a team invitation to Tournament Registration and goodie bags. The entry fee after July 15 is $800.
August 19 – Tournament, Dock Party & Awards Banquet:
- Ladies’ lines go in the water at 8:30 a.m. and must be out by 3 p.m.
- The Dock Party begins at 5 p.m. and is followed by an awards banquet from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Dock Party tickets are $75 in advance and $85 at the door.
To date, Wine, Women & Fishing has raised $ $670,000 for breast cancer research at Eastern Virginia Medical School. To learn more about Chesapeake Bay Wine Classic Foundation’s philanthropic efforts and for more information about Wine, Women & Fishing, please visit www.cbwc.org.